Monday, October 6, 2008

Open Source - Time to Start

The time has come to actually do something useful for this course. WOW! Useful!!!

For the first month, I have been basically either working, playing a little PSO here and there, or forced to do other assignments - such as my Game Modeling course.

To help us in the right direction, Professor Humphrey shows us Bugzilla. It is a website that allows people who are working with Mozilla's technology to post bugs, to allow for fixes, or for people to work on them. They can then post thier findings here.

He asks us to take 3 bugs found on this page, and add them to our "Project Wiki Page". Then follow a person to see what kind of findings they create.

It looked simple for some people - cause a vast majority of people who are in my course either got bug fixing, testing, or updating something that exist. But alas, I don't.

I am basically creating probe programs via D-Trace to help Mozilla debug using that software. But this is something a whole lot of people haven't done before. All the sources I have are from my "mystery contact" in IRC (we crash at the freenode or moznet servers @ #seneca). I need to meet him this week after I finish a probing program in C++.

All and all, Bugzilla was fruitless for me. But it isn't all that bad. What if there is a bug I see, and my "probing software" finds the problem for the user. That would save MANY people a lot of time, and a lot of headbangings on the table or wall :).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fruitless? Really? https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&content=dtrace

You've really got to get serious about this. The reason your irc contact is a mystery is because you are never online. It's pretty simple to solve.

By the way, check out this video of a talk by the creator of dtrace given at Google: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8002801113289007228