Friday, October 10, 2008

Open Source - Compiling Mozilla on Mac

I remember back when I was in Grade 3. Most of our computers at school were old MACs. And I mean the black and white ones with no CD Drives, with no funky colored monitors - and iPods were a vision of the future.

Back then, I wasn't a computer person like I am now. But now, I began to change....

I started using Windows 98 & XP. Good times. Too bad Service Pack 2 on XP wasn't friendly at all!

And Linux became easy to use for me. I had some trouble with vi at first, but then I came to love it like a brother. Then, it happened....

In order for me to begin working with D-Trace, I needed to use OpenSolaris. Problem: I needed a Mac. And it literally took me 20 minutes and a Google search on Safari just to find the location of the Command Prompt :(.

All I had to do in Windows was Windows Key + R > cmd. Linux I just simply opened it on the front screen. But this is Leopard 10.5 :(.

I got adjusted pretty decently to the atmosphere known as Mac OS. But the compilation instructions on Firefox were extremely fuzzy. And I mean EXTREMELY fuzzy. Especially since I didn't know what XTools or Darwinports were.

So I did the next best thing: Went on IRC (nick Hellwolf36) - and had a conversation between ted and jboston. Ted was helpful - his instructions were useful I wanted to get it on a home machine or remote terminal. But I am working in the Open Source lab.

jboston knew what the problem was - it was my PATH! I had already installed GLib and idlLib, XTools, D-Trace on this machine. I just didn't have my PATH set to find it. I pretty much facepalmed and was about to smash my head on the desk (metaphorically speaking).

Other than that, Mozilla Firefox seems to compile and work correctly. I will now share with you people how to avoid this trouble some fate. First, follow these instructions to the letter, especially the Software Requirements part.

Second, you may need to do this to your PATH and possibly your MANPATH.

Finally, you better find something to do for 30-50 minutes ;). You don't exactly want to sit there and watch your build happen.

My next phase for my 0.1 is to learn D-Trace and get a probe to work for me. One week left is the real nail-biter. But I have discovered, over the many years I work - that sometimes pressure brings out the best in all of us.

No comments: