Friday, October 10, 2008

Open Source - Done - Now for D-Trace

After much tedious discussions on IRC (between ted and humph), a power outage in the ORI lab and a little GO bus nap, I have got my Mac compiling to work with D-Trace. And I have accomplish 40% of my 0.1 release by doing this.

It turns out, when I compiled it, there is a difference between running the Firefox exe inside the dist, then there is actually running Minefield a little deeper. The reason this was a problem was because Firefox wasn't accepting keyboard input at all (and other programs were).

Now I have D-Trace to look into. From there I can find a probe and learn to use it.

Luckily, I have the research material printed out from the web. And all this will accomplish is make life easier when I actually sit down on the Mac and continue with my 0.1 release.

For those who need a reminder: I am taking D-Trace probes, and adding them to Mozilla Firefox functions. For 0.1, I am taking an existing probe, and using it on one section of the code, then post the results of it to the people. I won't be writing any probes until 0.2.

I had to be able to compile Mozilla on a Mac (accomplished), look up D-Trace and how it works (doing this weekend), then finding an existing probe (weekend), and utilizing it with functions inside the Mozilla code that have a relation (the week).

I have complete confidence that I should be able to get this all done by Saturday. And this assignment is more about time management now than it is actual "grunt work".

No comments: