Thursday, October 9, 2008

Open Source - Compiling Mozilla with D-Trace

I begin my step up to 0.1 glory with the bread and butter - compiling Mozilla with D-Trace. 

It's quite simple: Simply add ac_add_options --enable-dtrace in the .mozconfig file. And pray that nothing will explode.

But now, what am I to do in a lab for 1 hour?

If I was at home, I would probably log onto SCHTHACK and play Phantasy Star Online. Or boot up ZSNES for some Secret of Mana II (Seiken Densetsu 3). But considering I am on a tight schedule for 0.1 (which is due Saturday), and I don't want to let David Humphrey's links on D-Trace go to waste - I will be learning technology that is foriegn to me.

This will be by 1st time on a Mac. And I will openly admit, I am not a Mac person, but I can use Linux - so that has some merit. As long as I know what D-Trace is and how it works, I should be ready to get some things going. I wouldn't be surprised if I got half of this assignment done in 1 day. But it should be exciting, if I manage to pull it off.

Well, hopefully everything works out for the better. And given the fact this course is more time-based than difficulty - Failure is not an option.

No comments: